(ReliableNews.org) – Memorial Day is usually a holiday observed with somber, beautiful events honoring the men and women who died for America’s freedoms. COVID-19 has changed that. The parades, wreath-laying ceremonies and other events are being scaled back to protect people from the spread of the deadly virus. So, what can you do to honor the fallen and keep yourself safe?
Here are a few ideas:
- Go to your local cemetery and lay a single flower on each of the graves.
- Lay flowers or a small wreath at your local veterans’ memorial.
- Observe an event, like those at national cemeteries, from a distance.
- Have a moment of silence in your home.
- Donate to a charity that services families of fallen soldiers.
- Volunteer for an organization that helps Gold Star families.
- Ask loved ones who served if they want to talk about the friends they lost.
Finally, the most important thing you can do now and every day is not to take your freedom for granted. You’re standing here, free and alive because of the brave soldiers who gave their lives to protect your rights. Don’t ever forget that.
Copyright 2020, ReliableNews.org