(ReliableNews.org) – Iranian-backed militants have launched dozens of attacks on American military bases over the last month. The US responded by carrying out a missile strike against the groups. The militants responded by attacking more Americans.
On November 8, the US military struck a weapons storage facility in eastern Syria. Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and its affiliates were reportedly using the facility. Reports indicate that IRGC-backed groups are responsible for the attacks on American troops in the Middle East.
The next day, Sabrina Singh, the deputy press secretary at the Pentagon, held a press briefing. She said the militant groups have attacked US troops 46 times since October 17, 10 days after the war between Israel and Hamas broke out. The militant groups support the Palestinian terrorist organization and are angry that the US has chosen to support Israel. At least 56 service members have suffered injuries in the attacks. Most of them have recovered and returned to work.
In response to the attacks, the militant groups struck the US military four additional times. Singh issued a warning, saying the US “won’t hesitate” to respond if the attacks on Americans continue. Republicans on Capitol Hill are angry with the way President Joe Biden’s administration has responded.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, issued a statement saying the storage facility strike “should not be the final response by” the American military.
During the third Republican presidential debate, former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley said that the US needs to carry out strikes that “take out the infrastructure” the militants are using. She noted the Iranians respond to strength, explaining we need to “punch them once and [we] punch them hard, and they will back off.”
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has said Biden “has no higher priority” than keeping US troops safe, and the military will “defend itself, its personnel, and its interests.”
Copyright 2023, ReliableNews.org