(ReliableNews.org) – The COVID-19 pandemic has hurt nearly every industry in the United States. It has hit the agricultural sector and farmers especially hard. When restaurants closed as states tried to stop the coronavirus spread, those businesses stopped ordering the fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, and other goods they’d usually need. Schools shutting down led to similar issues.
President Donald Trump has already made sure farmers who are financially suffering received some aid earlier this year. But on September 17, he announced even more help for the men and women who feed America.
During a rally in Wisconsin, Trump said farmers who have suffered due to COVID-19 would be receiving more aid from the federal government. The president said his administration is “committing an additional … $13 billion in relief.”
The exact details of the relief package weren’t immediately available, however, the president said dairy and cranberry farms in Wisconsin would see some of the aid if they need it.
On the same day as President Trump’s announcement, Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced the USDA approved $1 billion in additional money for the Farmers to Families Food Box Program. So far, the program is responsible for giving out over 90 million boxes of food to support households.
The agricultural secretary thanked Trump for “his commitment to the program” and expressed hope that more people will be helped during this difficult time.
That isn’t the first time the president has helped farmers get through a crisis. When the trade war was happening between the US and China, Trump tried his best to shield the agricultural industry.
The president couldn’t stop all of the pain, but in 2018 and 2019, he did hand out roughly $28 billion in relief payments to farmers. The reality is, Trump can only do so much, but the fact that he continues to fight for these men and women says a lot.
Copyright 2020, ReliableNews.org