Ex-State Worker Fires Shots in Police Station

(ReliableNews.org) – According to CT Mirror, Connecticut has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The state requires universal background checks for both guns and ammunition and allows authorities to seize weapons from those who pose a danger to the community and to themselves. Unfortunately, those who shouldn’t have access to weapons can often find ways around the law, as evidenced by a recent case involving a woman with a gun and a building full of police.

What Happened?

On October 5, 51-year-old Suzanne Laprise entered the Bristol Police Department armed with her boyfriend’s gun. According to reports, the woman worked for the Connecticut Department of Developmental Services for over a decade helping people with disabilities. It’s unclear what made her snap.

While in the lobby, Laprise banged on the protective glass partition with the pistol several times before turning and shooting at a nearby door. The suspect then turned toward the glass, firing several shots before retreating to the hall. Footage of the incident indicated the woman was intoxicated, as she was stumbling over her own feet moving from one pane of glass to another. Not seen in the footage was the fact that police returned fire after communications with the woman failed. The protective glass stopped the bullets both ways.

CT Insider reported that Laprise was at a sports bar earlier that night, telling at least one patron that she was headed down to the police station to force them to kill her. The report didn’t mention her motive behind the attempted suicide by police. The gun used during the incident allegedly belonged to a retired New York Police officer — her boyfriend.

After Laprise left the lobby and went into the hall, reports said she dropped the gun and police tased her before a swarm of officers descended and took her into custody.

What Happens Now?

No one was hurt during the incident because the bullet-proof glass prevented any injuries to both the police officers and the suspect. After her arrest, Laprise was taken to the hospital for evaluation. Upon release, she was charged with nine offenses, including attempted murder, illegal discharge of a firearm, illegal carry while under the influence, criminal use of a weapon, pistol permit violations, criminal mischief, illegal possession of a large capacity magazine, reckless endangerment, and breach of peace.

It’s unclear how much time she faces in prison if found guilty, but she is currently being held on a $3 million bond. She is due back in court on October 17.

Copyright 2023, ReliableNews.org